Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Running of Act One and the Questions for My Characters

Monday was a very exciting day. Running all of Act One. Just the excitement of blending everything in that act together with such an amazing cast was unbelievable. Scott gave us a lot of great pointers based off of Uta Hagen's Methods which was to really focus on our characters... who they are, what their lives are like, etc. Playing different characters such as a homeless woman and a woman with AIDS really made me stop a think for a minute. Being a person having a home and a job and reasonable healthcare I have honestly no idea what its like to be without a home or with no way to see a doctor but playing these characters really made me take a step back and ask myself these questions:

1. Would I be able to survive in the winter with no roof over my head?
2. Would I be able to maintain my humility or would I succumb to anger and frustration?
Then I asked myself these questions as my characters:
1. What was my life like before I fell into hard times?
2. Where are my family and my friends?
3. Why do I have such anger towards artists?
4. What lead to my addiction of drugs?
5. How much has my life changed knowing I have AIDS?
6. How did I find the Life Support Group?
7. How do I feel about death?

Many questions ran through my mind about all of those things... moments and tragedies in life that as an actor I really had to think about that I had never really thought about before. It really helps me to look all of life's hard times and knowing to always appreciate each day and realize that life is a very precious thing. As this rehearsal process carries on I will continue to ask these questions to myself so I continue to understand that these situations off stage are an unfortunate reality that people are dealing with all over the world and I hope this production opens the eyes of the audience about fighting addiction, dealing with being homeless, taking every day for what its worth not knowing when it will be your last and most importantly Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment